Tuesday 1 May 2018

Is Childhood Emotional Neglect (CEN) Finally Becoming A Household Term?

a post by Jonice Webb for the Childhood Emotional Neglect blog [via World of Psychology]



The What

Way back in 2008, I began to notice a distinct pattern of struggles among the patients in my psychology practice. I knew that I was seeing the footprint of something important, but I had no idea what it was. I became intensely curious.

The pattern I was noticing involved vague feelings of emptiness or numbness, a deep sense of disconnection, and a general lack of fulfillment; a sense of being different, out of place, and missing something important in life. All of these clients were also baffled and confused about what could possibly be wrong to cause all of this.

I wondered:

  • What does this pattern mean?
  • Why is it appearing in so many dissimilar people?
  • Has anyone else ever noticed this before?

In 2009, as I continued to notice the pattern over and over again, I was feeling even more baffled and intrigued.

By 2010 I had finally found my answers to the questions that had been troubling my psychologist mind for years. I had figured out what was causing it and had coined the term for it, “Childhood Emotional Neglect,” or CEN for short.

By 2012 I had published the first book ever written on CEN, Running on Empty: Overcome your Childhood Emotional Neglect.

Jonice follows her What with Why and Now

Continue reading


No comments: