Saturday 5 May 2018

Common allergic conditions linked to mental health

an article by Tim Newman published in Medical News Today on 23 April 2018

[Grateful thanks to World of Psychology for leading me down the rabbit hole to find this]

In a new, large-scale study, eczema, hay fever, and asthma are linked to an increased risk of developing mental illnesses. The study backs up previous work and may help to guide clinicians as they treat these people.

A new study, published in the journal Frontiers in Psychiatry, uncovers links between mental health and the "three A's": asthma, allergic rhinitis (or hay fever), and atopic dermatitis (or eczema).

As someone who has all three of these, I was particularly interested to see the results. But I must also admit that I felt slightly unnerved.

I've had asthma and eczema since I was a baby, and I developed hay fever in my late teens. I've also had a few run-ins with mental health over the years, but I would never have thought that they could be related.

Continue reading

Interesting. I nearly always get eczema when severely stressed but the asthma and allergic rhinitis are always with me together with the mental health issues! Which came first, the chicken or the egg?


No comments: