Tuesday 15 May 2018

8 Rules to Help Alleviate Being Lonely

a post by Erica Loberg for the Tales of Manic Depression blog [via World of Psychology]

“Young people are far more likely than senior citizens to report being lonely and in poor health, a surprising survey of 20,000 Americans released Tuesday shows.” (USA Today.) So, according to a study put out by Cigna, Millennials and Generation X’ers are really lonely.

And I am one of them.

I remember back in college, I had a professor that thought the internet was going to end up contributing to social isolation, and she was right. We think that we are more connected through the internet, or social media platforms but, we’re not, and I believe it. Imagine waking up, going online to Amazon and buying a book. Convenient, right? Troubling, maybe. Imagine waking up and walking outdoors, down the street to your local book store, and buying a book. You might run into a neighbor and say hello. You might have a few words with the person behind the register while purchasing your book. At the very least, you are among people.

It’s 2018. There are no book stores. There are people walking around with headphones on blocking out society. I am one of those people too, and it’s not helping. If I’m not going to make a conservative effort to be social at the very least I should ditch my headphones before exiting my place. But what else can I do. I’m not down to try internet dating. I’m not down with going out and meeting people the old fashion way, so, where does that leave me. Isolated and alone.

But it is now time to make some changes. There are going to have to be some new rules.

Continue reading

Some of the ideas are not necessarily possible for all of us but the thought behind the idea may be something to think about.
And it is not just for younger people.

< hr />

No comments: