Wednesday 4 April 2018

Maybe This Is What Happiness Is

a post by Steve Kaminsky for the Tiny Buddha blog


With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit, 
He started to sing as tackled the thing 
That couldn’t be done and he did it.

Edgar Guest
I’ve always believed in the adage “actions speak louder than words.” I’ve never been one to seek guidance from commercial catch phrases, trending tweets, or song lyrics. But Guest’s poem did make me smile. Whether it was the playfulness of the verse or just the simplicity of the message, it spoke volumes to me.

Easy, right? Well, maybe for Edgar, but not so much for myself. Laden with insecurities, fear, and self-doubt, I’ve often felt paralyzed to confront obstacles, the largest being happiness and self-worth.

In the past, when my mom saw me down or struggling, she’d often ask, “Are you happy?” or “What would make you happy?” These were scary questions for me, because I had no answer. I would always just say, “I’m fine” and quickly change the subject.

No comments: