Monday 26 March 2018

The Wounds of Rejection Heal With Self-Love and Self-Awareness

a post by Vironika Tugaleva for the Tiny Bhudda blog


“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.” 
~Laurie Halse Anderson

It began in elementary school. I was a chubby immigrant with a thick accent and hand-me-down clothes. I so badly wanted the other kids to like me, and I had no idea why everything I said and did seemed to push them away.

My jokes and comments would trigger awkward silences or ridicule – especially in groups. Those moments were traumatizing, but they were also confusing. How could I make them like me?

As I learned English, I found some company in the schoolyard, but I continued to be bullied for my weight, my clothes, my face that turned red so easily. It didn’t help when I started going through puberty at age nine, younger than every other girl in my class.


No comments: