Saturday 31 March 2018

Life Is Better When We Focus on What We Appreciate, Not What’s Lacking

a post by Nicole Hind for the Tiny Buddha blog


    “Wisdom is merely the movement from fighting life to embracing it.” ~Rasheed Ogunlaru

Recently a friend told me a story about taking her seven-year-old to the circus. It was a wonderful mother-daughter outing. Just the two of them, no pesky brothers or dad tagging along and getting in the way.

They had the best time. They watched acrobats and clowns and all manner of brand new delights, gasping at one another gleefully at every new feat. They bathed in each other’s company without interruption, laughing and having fun. Literally all the things.

After this magical afternoon, as the two of them were leaving, my friend’s daughter spied the merchandise stand and wanted her mum to buy her a plastic fairy wand. My friend gently but firmly said no.

In the car on the way home, her daughter was quiet.

“What did you like the most? What was your favorite thing today?” my friend asked her.

She was sulking. “I’m just thinking about the wand I didn’t get.”

I’m just thinking about the wand I didn’t get.

Continue reading

I still think, sometimes, of the exam that I didn’t pass.


No comments: