Tuesday 13 March 2018

HE Funding and social mobility – The role of LMI

a post by Janet Colledge for the Outstanding Careers: Careers Ed for All blog

I’ve been reading huge amounts about Mrs May’s review of HE funding and to be honest, I’m fuming. Putting my political affiliations to one side, I’m trying to look at things objectively. However, I feel powerless to resist speaking up for “poorer students” “working class students” “the disadvantaged” call this sector of society, MY sector of society, what you will, I’m flaming fuming.

One of the conversations I heard on a radio phone in suggested, and I’m paraphrasing a 4-5 minute conversation here,
  • The relatively cheap to deliver degrees are those that don’t have good employability rates and thus less competitive salaries.
  • The degrees that result in higher employability tend to be those with STEM/Engineering components which make them more expensive to deliver.
  • Therefore disadvantaged students will choose the cheaper degrees.

For crying out loud! How condescending can you get? BUT and it’s a big but, until we get good quality careers education into ALL schools, how will young people know which degrees offer the best chance of a graduate level job and which don’t?

Continue reading

Hazel’s comment
Which degrees offer the best chance of a graduate level job?
That is definitely, in my opinion, only one of a raft of questions to be asked of the LMI after exploration of someone’s interests and abilities.
But, and this is my big but, if your choice of subjects at GCSEs (or equivalent) does not lead to the A-levels (or equivalent) you need in order to study, for example, the anthropology of terrestrial beings then you are stuck.



No comments: