Saturday 31 March 2018

You Can Help People Without Trying to ‘Fix’ Them

a post by Kathryn Brown Ramsperger for YourTango.com [via World of Psychology]

You can be helpful, without being a “fixer”

If I had a title, it would be “The Fixer.”

It’s why I write and coach, and it’s probably what most people would say if you asked them to describe me. Even my communication business had the motto, “Creative solutions to the world’s communication challenges.”

I prided myself on helping people solve their problems. Most of the time I could help. I even helped people solve their problems while I was in deep grief or anxiety myself. Even coaches have their moments of deep emotion. I’m human just like you, in addition to being a coach, mom, entrepreneur, and award-winning novelist.

Yet when I reached a certain age and career level, I started juggling too many plates. I had to begin to pay more attention to myself for a little while – or my physical body would fail. I had to create boundaries. I had to say ‘no.’ I had to stop answering every cry for help.

Recently, I had a setback, and I went about researching my fixing addiction.

Continue reading




No comments: