Sunday 1 April 2018

What It Really Means to Be There and “Hold Space” for Someone Else

a post by Danielle LaRock for the Tiny Buddha blog


        “A healer does not heal you. A healer is someone who holds space for you while you 
               awaken your inner healer, so that you may heal yourself.” ~Maryam Hasnaa

I was sobbing quite hysterically, huddled into myself sitting on the kitchen floor.

It literally felt like my life was falling apart. And so was I.

I had been striving so hard to start a meaningful business that changed the world and helped others, as well as heal myself from intense ongoing physical symptoms. But it seemed the harder I tried, the less things worked.

My head bobbed slightly off my knees as I took ragged breaths.

What the hell was wrong with me? The thought that was driving my meltdown was unintelligible in my brain, due to the crashing waves of my emotional reaction.

But somehow, eventually, I found myself able to fully lift my head and stare straight on at my distorted reflection in the stainless steel door of the dishwasher.

The whole while, he sat with me.

My endlessly loving partner, Jonathan, held space.

Continue reading

I have read this post through several times and I am still not sure that I understand the art of holding space. Going over it in my head I wonder whether anyone has ever held space for me. Is that why I find it hard to understand?


No comments: