Thursday 15 November 2018

Job search assistance does not boost employment: New evidence

a column by Lionel Cottier, Yves Flückiger, Pierre Kempeneers and Rafael Lalive for VOX: CEPR&rsquo's Policy Portal

In contrast to other labour market interventions, job search assistance appears to be effective in helping job seekers to find jobs.

This column examines the effects of such a programme targeting the long-term unemployed in Geneva. Those participating in the programme experience a short-term increase in employment compared to other job seekers, but this gain evaporates in the second year after assignment.

These results suggest that the programme places job seekers in lower-quality jobs.

Continue reading

and discover what I found out a long time ago but, of course, for governments to listen there has to be a study!
There was one fellow I helped into work nine times in about 18 months. Easy peasy. At the same time I was moving heaven and earth to get a job for someone who had been out of work caring for family. Mr Bell stopped me in the street some time later and said "You won't remember me but you helped me find a job a couple of years ago. I'm still there."
That was, of course, in the days when employment advisers advised and supported.



No comments: