Monday 19 November 2018

How Observing My Emotions Helps Me Let Go of Anger and Anxiety

a post by Jen Picicci for the Tiny Buddha blog


“Even when in the midst of disturbance, the stillness of the mind can offer sanctuary.”
~
Stephen Richards


One night my four-year-old daughter woke up crying, startling both me and my husband from sleep. He rushed into her room and I came in shortly thereafter, and I immediately got annoyed with how he was handling the situation. I’ll admit this now: I can’t even remember what he did, but in that moment I knew I would have done it differently and it made me feel irritable and angry.

I left the room and went into the bathroom. While I sat there, I remembered something I’d heard to do in order to become a calmer, more mindful person: Observe myself and describe my emotions and what was going on in my body as if I was telling a doctor about medical symptoms.

Continue reading

My yoga teacher always tells us at the beginning of the session to acknowledge any thoughts that come and let them go. Calm comes from accepting that it is as it is. I can’t accept all the spiritual ideas that come with the yoga practice but that one is good.


No comments: