Friday 2 February 2018

Why do black students quit university more often than their white peers?

an article by Georgina Lawton published in the Guardian (17 January 2018)

Kaya is one of a worrying number of black higher-education students who have failed to make it to graduation day. A recent study found that 10.3% of black students quit university early in England, compared with 6.9% for the student population as a whole.

“I had so many racially-tinted, miserable experiences at my university,” says Kaya, who has asked the Guardian not to use her real name. “My male housemate used to say the ‘n-word’ in front of me, bragged about the fact he’d once racially abused a man in a club, and was so aggressive when I asked him to stop. Yet when I told my university counsellor, she said I couldn’t know for sure if my housemate was actually racist ... that I needed to live and let live.”

Kaya completed just under two years of her sociology degree before quitting. “I felt as if I was going crazy in my own home, and the counsellor exacerbated that by not taking my distress seriously.”

Continue reading


No comments: