Tuesday 27 February 2018

16 Ways To Free Yourself From Overthinking

a post by Rachel Fintzy for the Cultivating Contentment & Happiness [via World of Psychology]



The Greek philosopher Socrates once proclaimed that the unexamined life is not worth living, implying that it is only through self-examination that we can create a meaningful existence. While it’s vital to have a sense of our strengths and weaknesses, values, and goals, there’s a point at which ruminating can contribute to our misery rather than helping us.

Often we can find ourselves going over and over a conversation we had earlier today, last week, or even last year. “What did he mean by that? Why did I say that? Will she ever speak to me again?”

Or maybe we get caught up in what might happen in that staff meeting tomorrow, a blind date this weekend, or our final exams in two months. “Should I ask my boss for a raise? Should I wear the red dress or the black one? When will I ever find time to study for my tests?”

We spin our wheels, knowing at some level that obsessing is not the answer, but unable to stop our whirling thoughts.

How can we begin to free ourselves from the tyranny of overthinking?

Continue reading for Rachel's 16 suggestions



No comments: