Friday 9 February 2018

Two’s company, three’s a crowd: disabled people, their carers and their partners

an article by Emma Louise McKinney (Stellenbosch University, South Africa) published in Disability & Society Volume 33 Issue 2 (February 2018)

Abstract

In this analytical autoethnography, I share some of my complex relational experiences between my partner with a severe physical disability, his carers and myself.

The article explores the benefits of care and carers, the physical and emotional costs of carers and some of the general considerations taken in this triad relationship.

I share some of my relational experiences with an audience who might not normally encounter or have thought about the dynamic relationships between this triad. It is hoped that this will stimulate an interest to open dialogue, offer support and provide an insight into the lives of some relationships.

I regret that the full article is available only to those with access to this journal via their institution or library. Of course you could always pay but it is not cheap.


No comments: