Wednesday 7 March 2018

Nine Lies We Tell Ourselves To Avoid Change

a post by Rachel Fintzy for Cultivating Contentment & Happiness [via World of Psychology blog]



Most of us have a love-hate relationship with change.

On one hand, we want to move forward and grow, which is a fundamental principle of life. On the other hand, the prospect of change (or actual change) can cause us to feel anxious and as if we want to crawl into a hole or escape by another means. Devouring an entire pizza, going back to bed, having a third (or fourth) beer, or simply continuing life on autopilot might suddenly seem more attractive than forging a new path.

Why do we often get in our own way, clinging to habits and situations that no longer benefit us?

Can you relate to any of the following myths about change?

Myth: I need to know and understand every step of the process before I begin to make a change.

Myth: I’ll start tomorrow. I’ll feel more like it then.

Myth: I can change other people.

Myth: I can’t change until other people in my life change.

Myth: I can and will change this habit/behavior when I get a “sign” or have a crisis. A crisis will scare me into making a change.

Myth: I have to hit bottom in order to change.

Myth: If a situation or relationship isn’t going exactly according to my expectations, I have to change it or leave it.

Myth: I’m too old to change. It’s too late to change.

Myth: This is just the way I am.

Continue reading and discover the truth that Rachel sets against each of these myths. Good stuff.


No comments: