Wednesday 7 March 2018

8 Ways to Support Yourself Through Bereavement

a post by Julia Samuel for the World of Psychology blog

As we age we are inevitably bereaved more often, and it is at a time of our life when we are more vulnerable. Research shows that the generation that are in their 60’s and older are the least likely to access or receive appropriate support when someone dies, and this is particularly true of men.

Through my work as a bereavement psychotherapist for the last 25 years, I have learned from my clients what can help them at such a difficult time, and I have developed the concept of “pillars of strength” – these are active things we can do to help us manage the pain of loss, and build an internal structure when we feel there is a terrible black hole inside us.

Continue reading

Hazel’s comment
As the eldest person in my immediate family I have been through the loss of those older than me. Now I'm having to cope with friends around my own age (only 74) dying as well as the loss of those younger. It is still a struggle to get through the grieving process.


No comments: