Tuesday 19 December 2017

I Will Not Be Put in a Box: I Am Not What I Do, Own, Think, or Feel

a post by Sara Fabian for the Tiny Buddha blog



“All that I seek is already in me. “ ~Louise Hay

My world collapsed the day I became unemployed. After a successful thirteen-year career in a multinational company, working across different countries and cultures, I ended up with no job. I wasn’t an expat leader in Shanghai any longer; from that day, I became an expat housewife, and this big status change came like thunder.

Whenever people asked me about myself when I was working, I used to explain what my job was all about. Or give them a business card and let that speak for me.

Being left with no work was a very painful experience, one I will never forget. It came like a trauma, and I felt like a failure: lost, stuck, miserable, and depressed.

All of a sudden, I had no business card to show the world to validate my self-worth. There were no more international projects, company sales, and fantastic team achievements for me to talk about and feel proud.

They say true growth mostly comes from pain, and I believe that’s true. Today I see that moment as a gift from life, a real blessing in disguise that helped me stop for a moment and, for the very first time, ask myself who I was and what made me really happy.

Continue reading

There was nothing in Sara’s post that I did not already know but seeing it all together in one relatively short post was an eye-opener for me. H.


No comments: