Sunday 24 December 2017

Cultivating Beginner's Mind: Adventure Lies Outside Your Comfort Zone

a post by Amaya Pryce for the Tiny Buddha blog



“The don’t-know mind… doesn’t fear, has no wish to control or foresee, steps off the cliff of the moment with absolute trust that the next step will land somewhere, and the next step somewhere else, and the feet will take us wherever we need to go.” ~Byron Katie

I am fifty-five years old. I’ve raised a family, been through two divorces, bought and sold four houses, and had a successful professional career. And right now I’m doing one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, which is learning to host in a busy restaurant.

My coworkers range from mid-twenties to early thirties. They are smart and hardworking. I feel like my brain is about to explode.

Why am I doing this? Well, money, for one thing. For better or worse, I can’t go back to my original profession after taking two decades off to be a mom. But another large motivator is that I want to do something totally new and out of my comfort zone, to experience what Buddhists call the “not-know mind” or beginner’s mind.

Continue reading and discover that it is possible to leave the comfort zone behind. At least for the author of this piece it is. I’m not nearly so sure about doing it myself. I may not be happy where I am but the environment in which I live is a known quantity. No nasty surprises.


No comments: