Thursday 28 June 2012

Tips For Getting Back Into Work For The Over 40s

via Jobacle.com Blog by Andrew G. Rosen

So, you’ve hit or even passed the big 4-0. You have life experience, professional experience, a certain amount of wisdom that comes with age and yet, you are still struggling to secure that new job. You suspect that your age may have something to do with it. Unfortunately, you are probably right.

As an older job seeker, you need to be aware of the mindset that you will encounter in interviews and be prepared to adapt and ask questions accordingly. Here’s a few things that will help the over 40s overcome potential barriers to that much sought after new job.
  • Older people are stuck in their ways
  • You are overqualified
  • Does your resumé resemble a retirement speech?
  • Emphasise the advantages of your age
Details of the items above are here.

I don’t necessarily agree with what Andrew says but, as with everything I bring to you, take what you like and leave the rest.
And as an older worker myself I resent the idea that 40 is the new 55 which is where I felt the boundary was when I was working as an employment adviser.


No comments: