Ten top tips for civil servants looking to adapt to future changes
The government’s civil service reform plan wants civil servants to be part of a pacier, more unified, more skilled professional service.
Here are ten tips for those seeking to thrive in the civil service of tomorrow: [detail here]
- Be a specialist (but not too specialist).
- Get some experience outside the civil service (but not too early on, and don't move jobs too often).
- Get ready to step on the heads of those a couple of grades above you (but don't expect extra pay for the extra work you'll be doing).
- Hone your skills in crowdsourcing (but don't forget that the buck stops with you).
- Get ready for “rank and yank”.
- Make sure your CV includes operational experience and get out of Whitehall.
- Brush up on your impact assessment skills.
- Blog, tweet and get on Facebook (but stick to posts about your labrador).
- Get to know your Whitehall neighbours.
- Practise what to say to Margaret Hodge.