Tuesday 26 March 2019

How Getting Hit by a Bus Taught Me to Stop Worrying and Start Living

a post by Jay Liew for the Tiny Buddha blog


“Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand.” – Hayley Williams

How often do you appreciate the pleasure of taking a deep breath? Have you stopped worrying about what the world can do to you, and instead focused on what you can do in the world? Do you actively appreciate your life, as a part of your daily routine?

Odds are you do not. I know I certainly didn’t, until it was nearly taken from me.

I’ve been riding bicycles around New York City since I was a child. While cycling in the city used to be considered something of an extreme sport, in the last couple of years the city built bike paths on many streets and avenues, making it safer.

It was during this expansion that I was hit by a bus.

In 2009 I would ride my bicycle to and from work every day, using bike lanes whenever possible.

Nights were a different story. I avoided certain roads because the prevalence of bicyclists who would travel the wrong way without using any lights raised the spectre of a crash, and falling out of the bike lane and into traffic.

Continue reading


No comments: