Wednesday 23 January 2019

Think you’re bad at math? You may suffer from ‘math trauma’

a post by Jennifer Ruef for the Big Think blog

Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.

I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.

When people share their stories with me, there are common themes. These include someone telling them they were “not good at math," panicking over timed math tests, or getting stuck on some math topic and struggling to move past it. The topics can be as broad as fractions or an entire class, such as Algebra or Geometry.

The notion of who is – and isn't – a math person drives the research I do with my colleagues Shannon Sweeny and Chris Willingham with people earning their teaching degrees.

Continue reading

 I wonder how different maths teaching is in the UK. It was a subject I loved, I think that was because until you got into experimental mathematics the logic carried through to a right or wrong answer. No in between thinking!


No comments: