Wednesday 16 January 2019

8 Ways Creativity Helps Us Connect with Ourselves and Get What We Need

a post by Lori Deschene for the Tiny Buddha blog

When I look back at my life, I recognize that some of the most pivotal moments revolved around creativity and self-expression.

As a kid, that meant community theater. My first solo was “Part of Your World,” from The Little Mermaid. Though I felt incredibly insecure in my green spandex pant-fins as a fairly thick twelve-year old, I was able to tune that out when I made my way center stage.

It was just me, my heart, my voice, and the spotlight. And that song felt written for me, as I felt like an outsider pretty much everywhere at that time in my life.

Around the same time I found my passion for writing—my first foray into the world of self-help, actually. To deal with bullying at school and a difficult home life, I began writing myself a series of motivational essays, little things to boost my self-esteem in a world that seemed to want to tear it down.

It was fairly mortifying when I noticed the boys huddled in the cafeteria, laughing, while reading from my well-worn spiral notebook, which they had stolen from my backpack. But those essays weren’t for them. They were for me. And they helped.

Continue reading


No comments: