Friday 5 October 2018

The Road to Resilience

a post by Linda Sapadin for the World of Psychology blog



Do you ever get stuck in a funk?

You feel miserable. The unexpected has happened. Too much is expected of you. You can’t keep up.

So what do you do?

You crawl back into bed (either literally or figuratively), telling yourself, “I can never keep up; I’ll always be stuck in this misery.” Not only do you feel miserable; you keep obsessing about the “fact” that you feel miserable.

If you have ever felt like this, I want to tell you that the first thing you need to do to feel better is to get rid of the words “ALWAYS” and “NEVER.” Throw them in the junk pile. Kick them in the trash. Delete them from your vocabulary.

Then, substitute the words “right now.” “Right now, I feel miserable. Right now too much is expected of me. Right now I can’t keep up.”

Go ahead, say those sentences out loud. Notice the difference in how you feel compared to when you use the words “always” and “never.” No, changing your words won’t solve your problems, but they do set you firmly on the road to resilience.

Continue reading


No comments: