Monday 23 October 2017

The midlife low in human beings

a post by David Blanchflower and Andrew Oswald for VOX: CEPR’s Policy Portal

Most textbooks in social psychology teach students the idea that happiness and psychological well-being are essentially independent of age. Based on data on 1.3 million randomly sampled individuals across a large number of countries, this column argues instead that humans have a fundamental tendency to a midlife low which is apparently substantial and not minor. This puzzling phenomenon seems an important and fundamental one, and its existence should not be ignored.

Continue reading

I found this article fascinating. It explained me to me!! I've not totally recovered from the midlife low because there are other mental health factors to be considered but I am certainly more contented and satisfied with my life than I was twenty years ago.


No comments: