Tuesday 5 February 2013

3 things that keep poor kids out of the sciences

via Boing Boing by Maggie Koerth-Baker

There is some truth to the American ideal of meritocracy. But there’s a lot of myth, as well.

Biologist Danielle Lee describes her experience coaching poor kids in St. Louis on science fair projects – an activity that often becomes a stepping stone to a career in the sciences. But, for the kids Lee met, intelligence and a good idea aren’t enough to overcome the institutional barriers working against them.

This is how discrimination happens.

It’s not simple and easy to fix and it isn’t pretty to watch.

Hazel’s comment:
Fans of my weekend miscellanies will readily recognise the writer of this Boing Boing blog post. I sometimes wonder where I would be without her!
This one, however, linked in my mind with something I posted only yesterday about UK poorer students losing their aspirations of university by the time they were 14.




No comments: