Monday 17 December 2018

Why I'm Choosing Happiness Before Success

a post by Will Aylward for the Tiny Buddha blog


“The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.” ~Alan Watts

I love how instant modern life has become.

When I’m hungry, without really moving, I can instantly get food delivered to me. Pizza, of course. When I’m hungry for knowledge, at the touch of a button on my mobile, I can discover answers to the questions I’m pondering. No need to head to the library to search for and flick through books.

Some would argue that this instantaneousness is making us lazy. Regardless, I find it astonishing the speed we can get what we want.

Why, then, have I found myself delaying the one thing I want most—happiness?

Like many of us, I’m driven. I love to challenge myself, set goals, and do my best to achieve them.

There’s nothing wrong with being ambitious. It’s only a problem when I tell myself “I won’t be happy until… happens” or “I won’t be happy until I have…”

Continue reading


No comments: