Wednesday 5 December 2018

JSTOR: Not Everyone Wants Their Donations Touted on Facebook

an item on the JSTOR DAILY by Karen Winterich [via ResearchBuzz: Firehose]

Facebook Likes Box

I recently made a donation on a friend’s GoFundMe page. I paused over the box to hide my name before clicking it. Then as I finished up, the website asked me if I wanted to share my donation on Facebook. I clicked “skip.”

I also have a team in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s in honor of my mother. Every time I donate online, the website prompts me to announce my gift on social media. I’ll share our team’s fundraising page on Facebook but not my own donation. Most people who donate to my team don’t share their donations on social media either.

Although these requests to flaunt donations are becoming extremely common, not all donations are trumpeted on Facebook or Twitter or heralded in programs for concerts and school reunions. Some are completely anonymous.

I study how someone’s identity affects their charitable giving. The twinge of self-consciousness I feel when asked to publicize my donation on social media or have my name revealed made me wonder why some donors broadcast their good deeds while others remain silent.

Continue reading

I’ve been thinking about this and realised that, for national causes I care about, I actually want people to know that I support X or Y but where it is a private go-fund-me donation then I do not want the whole world knowing.


No comments: