Analysis of trends in EU road freight transport
- European road freight transport declined in 2011 in terms of tonne-kilometres (tkm) after a slight recovery in 2010, reflecting the economic climate.
- However, there was a small rise in tonnage terms. Cabotage bucked the trend by growing strongly in 2011.
- National, international and cross trade transport declined.
- Latvia, Lithuania and Bulgaria recorded a strong rise in tkm performed, while Italy registered a significant decline.
- Household and office removals transport rose sharply in 2011.
- Construction industry related products are the major group in tonnage terms; food dominates transport in tkm.
- Transport for all distance classes is below the 2007 level. European road freight transport under 300 km decreased by 9% between 2007 and 2011.
- Poland achieved growth in all distance classes in 2011, while Bulgaria saw growth in all but the very shortest distances, less than 50 km. A strong rise is observed in shorter distance movements of transport equipment.
Full text (PDF 8pp)