Friday 14 September 2018

How to Free Your Truest Self When You Struggle With Anxiety

a post by Eugene Choi for the Tiny Buddha blog


“Stress, depression, and anxiety are caused when we are living to please others.” ~Paulo Coehlo

I came from a broken and very poor family. My father left the house during my teenage years, and it was just my mother, little brother, and I remaining.

Like most single parents going through the hardships of singlehandedly caring for two children, my mother was often anxious about my well-being. And she overcompensated for her anxiety by being overbearing.

I unfortunately inherited this anxiety.

For the longest time, it was a daily battle for me.

You know the feeling.

Your muscles tense up, you feel an overwhelming sense of fear, and your heart begins to race.

It’s the uncomfortable worries that surface as you play out worst-case scenarios in your head.

Though we can feel anxiety about debt, work pressures, or any number of challenges, for me, it was mostly triggered by the fear of not being good enough and disappointing other people.

My struggle with anxiety was one of the most crippling experiences, and as a result, I never grew.

So, is it really possible to overcome anxiety?

I realized the answer is yes, but first I needed to understand where my anxiety was coming from.

Continue reading


No comments: