Thursday 18 July 2019

To cure my chronic pain, I had to learn about the links between mind and body

an article by Hannah Millington published in the Guardian

Standard therapies were not working. But once I discovered the role of the brain in physical pain, I began to mend

Woman hiding her face, in pain 
‘Chronic pain is an ongoing epidemic. It debilitates around 28 million adults in the UK.’ Photograph: grinvalds/Getty Images/iStockphoto

Chronic pain is an ongoing epidemic. It debilitates around 28 million adults in the UK alone. Yet society seems to have grown comfortable with there being no cure. Perhaps this is because we have been searching for the wrong type of answer, in the wrong place.

I should begin by briefly explaining my own experience of chronic pain and what, seemingly against the odds, has helped me find relief.

After graduating from university last summer, I suffered a repetitive strain injury in both hands while doing a temporary office job. I stopped being able to work and had to put on hold my pursuit of a career in writing. I couldn’t use a computer, write with a pen or even eat with a knife and fork without severe pain. I underwent months of physiotherapy. This helped build my confidence slightly, but the pain continued. I was repeatedly told that I needed to change my posture including how I sat, stood, walked and slept. As a result, I became hyperaware of my body. The pain began to spread to my neck and arm. Diagnoses including scoliosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome and pinched nerves were proffered and I was given exercise after exercise while receiving conflicting medical advice. The problem was affecting every part of my life and I needed to find answers.

Continue reading and please bear in mind that what works for one person may or may not work for another.


No comments: