Sunday 22 July 2018

Why We Don't Need to Apologize So Often and How to Do It Well When We Do

a post by Paula Stephens for the Tiny Buddha blog


“The ability to apologize sincerely and express regret for the unskillful things we say or do is an art. A true apology can relieve a great deal of suffering in the other person.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

My life has been full of apologies. I’ve been on both the receiving and giving end of the good, the bad, and the ugly apology.

Just recently a dear friend who I hadn’t connected with in a long time reached out and asked if we could meet for coffee. I sort of backhandedly blew her off and told her I would try to meet her later that same day. I had already made plans to run with another friend, but I chose not to share this.

After my run, I invited my running buddy to coffee and ran into my other friend. It was awkward. We hung out and all had coffee together, but there was an uncomfortable vibe between us the entire time.

Later that day I texted my friend, apologized, and told her I should’ve been honest about my reason for rejecting her invitation. Yes, you read that correctly – I texted my apology! Owning our mistakes is hard, and I’m working on getting better in this area.

On the other hand, I’m learning there’s a difference between apologizing for a mistake and apologizing for being human.

Continue reading


No comments: