Wednesday 31 January 2018

It's Okay to Be Who You Are – Forget Approval and Show Your True Colors

a post by Daya for the Tiny Buddha blog


“Don’t trade your authenticity for approval.” ~Unknown

How often do you find yourself doing things just because you have to and not because you want to? I’m not talking about the hard work we do to improve at our jobs or the responsibilities we have to our families. I’m referring to those things we do just to please others, to project a certain image of ourselves to the world that isn’t in line with who we really are.

A few years ago, I was searching within myself to find out who I really was.

I’d been so obsessed with creating a mask that people would love that I could no longer recognize myself in the mirror.

I am an ambivert, and I don’t express my feelings much. I tend to smile rather than squeal with joy. I fall silent rather than shout with anger.

Because of these traits, people used to call me “poker face,” and I felt as if something was wrong with me. Determined to shed this label, I forced myself to be loud and attended all social events with my friends in spite of exhaustion. But deep inside all I wanted was a quiet appointment with myself.

Continue reading


No comments: