Monday 9 January 2012

Are you an Adult at Work?

via Lynda Gratton - The Future of Work by Lynda Gratton

It’s been an exciting year – economic turmoil in Europe, extraordinary growth in many of the developing countries, the rise of some companies and demise of others. What is clear is that we are in the midst of an industrial revolution greater than the world has ever seen with all the turbulence, the challenges and the opportunities that previous revolutions have brought. Partly as a result of this, it seems to me that the relationship between companies and their employees is undergoing a fundamental shift. All over the world the old Parent to Child relationship is moving towards a potentially more balanced Adult to Adult relationship. This is generally good news – but don’t underestimate what this will mean to your working life and what you will have to do to make the most of it.

Ms Gratton goes on to look at her own experiences of the last year and suggests that everyone asks themselves five questions. I’ll not spoil this for you – you really do need to read the advice for yourself. Warning: it’s not easy.
  1. Am I letting my context overwhelm me?
  2. Am I a Technological Child?
  3. Am I in control of my competencies?
  4. Do I have the courage to make the hard choices?
  5. Am I making the most of the future?

No comments: