Wednesday 18 April 2007

Library + Information Show (1)

I've not yet read anyone else's comments on today's show (it's on again tomorrow as well) at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham. My initial thought was, after trekking for what seemed like miles from the train station to Hall 18, that the show is smaller than in previous years. It was certainly less crowded which made wandering around the stands a more pleasant experience. Most of the exhibits are geared towards selling something to large organisations so, while interesting in themselves, were not very useful to ADSET.

Two stands stood out from the rest.

Many IAG practitioners will be familiar with FunderFinder and will be delighted to know that Jo Habib was promoting the product to the wider library and information services marketplace. We had a good chat about life, the world, and, almost as an afterthought, work.
Tagseasy is a new social networking service but this one is specifically set up for business. Before any recommendation, however, I thought I'd better try it. First thought was that I did not like the home page design which I thought "over-designed" but that's my personal preference for clean lines and less graphics. It loaded quite slowly and then, because I'm using AOL as my web browser, there was no way for me to load the toolbar so I couldn't actually try it. It looks as though, at least for the forseeable future, I'll sticking with Furl. A plus point - the helpline was very responsive and I got a reply to my query timed at 22:23 last night (I picked it up this morning).

Hey, ho it's back to Birmingham. I go to listen to a presentation on the Gowers Review of Intellectual Property. I'll write up the three seminars I went to yesterday when I get back tonight!

No comments: