Monday 24 November 2014

Unwilling freelancers give the lie to unemployment statistics

an article by Tom Clark published in The Guardian (28 October)

More than half of recent job growth nationwide reflects workers going it alone, but much ‘self-employment’ is something less benign

Every month, it seems at the moment, the unemployment numbers are surprisingly good. Every month, too, however, there are also new caveats to attach to the claims about “more people in jobs than ever before”.

Continue reading

and do, please, get as far as noting that instead of getting Working Tax Credit based on actual earnings as a freelancer (as I did back in the day) the new Universal Credit is based on a more-than-somewhat-misguided assumption on income received.

Apologies for much of the late posting, I am still playing catch up and actually omitting a lot of stuff that, had I read it nearer its publication date, I would have included.

Just previewed this and realise that anyone can look at the number of posts published and draw a graph of my mental health!
I am actually on the up at the moment having found a really good counsellor who I see monthly.



No comments: