Thursday 22 November 2012

The best laid plans of mice and men … and even people called Hazel

I set out this morning with the best of intentions, as one does.

Get up, get dressed – get the essentials out of the way.

Travel to the British Library; look at the journals that I requested for today; and write up four or five blog posts from what I’ve been reading.

Some hope.

The International Journal of Electronic Government Research (three issues thereof) yielded zilch.

Likewise the International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education.

Moving on to the Library Journal (six issues) I have been reading for my personal pleasure. Not what I’m supposed to be doing! Whilst this is an American publication I do find careers information stuff from time to time – but not today.

Aah, here we have The School Librarian, surely there will be something in the four issues that have been sent. Well yes, there is but not necessarily things that will make an individual blog post. For example, the review of Armed Services (Action Force) ends with the statement that this is not a “careers” but its appeal will inevitably be greater to those attracted to joining up. I will, therefore, add it to my growing list of items that I hope will provide an information resource for careers work (a sort of junior Opportunity if you remember that publication from ADSET).

Now that my mental health is improving and I’m catching up on an enormous backlog of reading I should be able to gradually add in new things to the repertoire!

And then three more fairly mundane titles:
International Journal of E-Business Research
International Journal of Enterprise Information Systems
International Journal of e-Collaboration

Incidentally, and in my own defence, some of the backlog is not due to my not facing up to things but to the moving of items from the St Pancras archive to the new storage unit in Yorkshire (many items unavailable for up to a year) then followed by my not wanting to tackle it all at once!

Hey ho.

Onward and upward.

No comments: