Saturday 17 September 2011

The Lived Experience of Work and Career: …

Women Whose Parents Lack Postsecondary Education
an article by MM Gibbons, M Woodside, C Hannon, JR Sweeney and J Davison published in The Career Development Quarterly Volume 59 Number 4

Abstract (summary)
There is a dearth of research exploring the career and work development of adults and the influence of family of origin on that development. In this qualitative study, the authors used a phenomenological approach to examine the career and work experiences of women whose parents have no education beyond high school and the influences of family on these experiences. Findings revealed 5 invariant themes, or constituents, that shaped the experiences of these women: being a daughter/woman, support and encouragement, what matters, why I chose, and limits and options. Perseverance was found to be a related underlying component, or essence. Authors present implications for counsellors working with adult women whose parents lack postsecondary education.

Hazel’s comment:
I read this article on ProQuest in the British Library, thought that the ideas presented were interesting and emailed the link, as I thought, to myself so that I could put the abstract into a blog post. 
Now with Emerald, informaworld and Elsevier's ScienceDirect databases you get what you think you’re going to get – and email which says “here’s a link that Hazel thought you would be interested in”; with ProQuest I got the whole article in the body of the email. I obviously can’t include it here (space reasons even if I ignore copyright law) but I thought it odd.


No comments: