Sunday 29 August 2010

Struggling with the system: the case for UK welfare reform

This briefing paper from Oxfam sets out why Oxfam has chosen to focus on out-of-work benefits, what the system currently looks like, and how it should be changed to help eliminate poverty and suffering in the UK.

It highlights the need for a benefit system which recognises that:

  • work should always pay and create incentives to work;
  • that is based on cooperation rather than coercion;
  • that takes account of people's different needs; and
  • recognises the non-financial contribution made by people living in poverty.
This short paper (PDF 16pp) sets out some powerful arguments and makes recommendations for reform.

I am very grateful to Research Online from Skills Development Scotland’s Labour Market Research Team for bringing this to my attention.

Hazel’s comment:
I have to admit that it is not often that I actually read the publications that I find for you but this I did. And I felt ashamed that the service where I spent 17 mainly happy years working on the frontline has deteriorated to the point where Jobcentre staff laughed at someone's aspirations. Tell him that it will be difficult, tell him you’ll do everything in your power to help (which if I understand the present system is not much), but under no circumstances do you laugh AT a job-seeker.

No comments: