Wednesday 27 May 2009

Stupidity thy name is Hazel ...

or should that be the other way round?

Actually, I think that it should because it has, after nearly two years without my own transport, come to my attention where my time is going – standing in queues waiting for buses, sitting on buses which go through the most tortuous routes to get to their destinations (because that's where the people live and, therefore, need the buses to go), and walking to places where buses don't go or where it’s quicker to walk.

Why now?

Well, yesterday late afternoon/early evening I went to a European Hustings event at the local Chamber of Commerce. Getting there was easy as I'd already been at a meeting in Milton Keynes just a short train journey from Northampton but home afterwards was, if not quite a nightmare, certainly not a pleasant dream. 2 buses, a 15-minute walk took nearly three hours. Door-to-door by car would have been, at that time of day, about 25 minutes.

And if you can work properly on a bus (not a long-distance coach) then you're a better traveller than I am. Lots of knitting gets done and whilst I can manage essential business reading it’s more likely to be a novel so now I know and must start planning my life yet again.

That said I did have a really good day. Useful meeting at the OU about access to information and the Hustings event turned up a real surprise - the lead candidate for the Green Party recognised me as having had her daughter in my Sunday School class some 20 years ago. I haven’t seen either Sue or Lizzie since then.

No comments: