Sunday 29 July 2007

Association for Careers Education and Guidance

The Annual Conference of the Association took place at the beginning fo this month (July 2007) and I'm ashamed to say that I've only just got around to writing about it! Too late? Yes, in one sense it is but in another I can exonerate myself -- none of the information I acquired is actually time critical.
I thought that I could cheat a bit (no, a lot if possible) by linking to ACEG's website -- where I hoped to find at least the plenary session slides loaded if not more. No such luck -- al the conference page has is a photograph of the organiser, Sylvia Thompson, and a note to say that the Conference report will be in the October edition of the Association's journal. Back to the slog of having to think!
As an exhibitor I could attend the Keynote sessions, of which there were five, and, of course, the exhibition itself.
  • Keynote 1: A local model for collaborative working on 14-19 provision Steve Stewart, CEO of Connexions Coventry and Warwickshire
    This session was primarily of interest to organisations looking to work in partnership or improve present collaborative working arrangements (which is not me). The style of presentation was good and included many anecdotes and examples from the sometimes complex situation in Coventry and Warwickshire.
  • Keynote 2: Policy and Progress in 14-19 Reform Elaine Hendry who until 28 June was with the DfES
    I didn't get to hear much of this but hearing comments from delegates afterwards I gathered that the presentation didn't include a great deal that was new but did consolidate current thinking. Unfortunate that the speaker is likely to be moving on to pastures new.
  • Keynote 3: Career identity and the dialogical learning process Frans Meijers
    At this point I have to admit to a modicum of oversleeping -- I missed most of this talk which was, I am told, extremely interesting. This being so I thought I'd better do some invetigating. In 1998, in the International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling (Volume 20 Noumber 3), I found a paper on "The development of a career identity" by one Frans Meijers at the University of Leiden.
    Abstract: In modern society individuals are becoming responsible for their own
    work allocation. In order to overcome an increasing social and work-related
    insecurity, they not only have to acquire specific career skills but also a
    so-called "career identity". A career identity is a structure of meanings in
    which the individual links his own motiviation, interests and competencies with
    acceptable career roles. In the article the concept of meaning is explored and
    further elaborated as a social learning process. The article concludes with
    some remarks about the need for a strong learning environment.
    Next I found a 2002 paper "Career Policy for the Contemporary World: Dictat or Stimulant?" -- Frans Meijers is by now an "Education and Career-Learning Consultant" in the Netherlands writing for the Career-Learning Network.You can read the whole article here. [PDF 13pp with some really good references]
    So, that covers identity and establishes Frans Meijers in context but what is "dialogical"? Apparently it is to do with dialogue so that the presentation that I missed was about identity and helps pupils to establish a career identity through talking about it in a learning context.

At this point, folks, I have to go again. I have been summoned to attend at the local hospital for a minor operation (two nights inside maximum) at very short notice (like can you come in tomorrow?) and need to sort out lots of things. I will, I really will, get this finished before moving on to anything new for you.

No comments: